Welcome to The Department Store, a development by architects Squire and Partners, which revives a local Brixton landmark to create a series of collaborative workspaces supported by an evolving hub of creative, retail and community uses. Originally built in 1906 as an annexe to the Bon Marche department store, the design of the reimagined space has been informed by the existing fabric and layers of history.

Collaborating with craftspeople and furniture makers, the restored and extended building provides an exciting array of work and event spaces for the various design disciplines within the practice, as well as a series of creative and retail units including a roastery for Volcano Coffee, a cafĂ© for Kaboola Kitchen, Downstairs event space, a record shop for Brixton based Pure Vinyl, a community Post Office and Canova Hall restaurant and bar.